You are not logged in.

#1 07-21-2014 01:19:32

windyweather
Nouveau membre

Light weight Renderer?

While I had problems with rendering using V 1.5 on LM17, V 2.1 works fine on Windows 7.
I made a 4 slide show with 5-7 shots for each slide. Total about 3 min of slide show.
It took about 5 minutes to render an HD MP4 on my Haswell i-7 machine - using only 1 processor btw.
I'd like to make a slide show with about, oh say, 300 slides.
The output video file is about 100MB. So for 300 slides that's about 6GB and about 5 min x 60 or 5 hours to render.

It seems to me that with modern graphics hardware that rendering these slide shows - with all the graphics, fonts etc that you want - and all the transitions you like, are no problem to do in real time. So if I want to build a photo show to run on a photo/frame machine, oh for example running Linux Mint 17 and employing a ZBOX - which has an Atom 2700 and an Nvidia chip - it would render in real time.

In that case, the only file in addition to the original images [ in my case about 200MB] would be the XML .ffd file.

The lightweight rendering application would be the preview code from the FFD program, but with quite a bit of acceleration built in, which it apparently does not have at the moment. Multi-threading, rendering frames ahead, and using the 3D graphics hardware. Notice that this is probably much simpler than doing the video encode. Memory should not be an issue. You can assume that you have at least 2GB of memory available to the system, although such small systems are not common. What if you write the rendering app in 3D? Some of my images are 2500 or so, but even these are not that big to treat as textures in 3D. So to do the image motion/ scaling, you just make a 3D plane, paint it with an image and then move it or the camera. Maybe there are better ways to use the Nvidia / AMD hardware to accelerate the process.

ffD is a great program. It just needs a quicker way to present it's output for local consumption - not over the web and not over the network.

Have we already had this discussion here?
I look forward to pointers or your thoughts.
Thanks,
- ww

Board footer