You are not logged in.

#1 12-04-2013 04:36:00

algo74
Nouveau membre

Is it possible to restrict the list of available transitions

I really enjoyed ffDiaporama so far. I have one issue with it however. I like to add random transitions, but ffDiaporama has many transitions that do not look "professionally" and/or do not render smoothly.

So, I have a question: is there a way to edit the library of transitions?

#2 12-04-2013 05:30:01

domledom
Administrateur

Re: Is it possible to restrict the list of available transitions

If your question is "Is it possible to select eligible transitions for random mode?", the answer is not, but it can be considered for a future release

Now, if your question is "Can we make professional transitions that today are not?", my question is: What are the transitions that does not seem professional for you today?

Processeur i5 - 8 Go RAM - Manjaro Linux KDE (64 bits) / Windows 7 (64 bits)

#3 12-09-2013 20:09:16

algo74
Nouveau membre

I am sorry for my late response, I was busy creating those slideshows.

My question was  "Is it possible to select eligible transitions for random mode?" I would definitely like this feature to be considered.

Regarding the transitions that I do not like. I was mainly unhappy with Luma transitions because they were very pixelated when rendered at DVD quality. I ended up rendering "Lossless" and then transcoding to a DVD compliant format in other software (I also noticed that "SD/DVD" format of ffDiaporama were not DVD compliant anyway). This way, Luma transitions were OK, although they could definitely be better ("luma" files seem to be of low resolution, higher resolution files would probably produce better results. Also, it could be better to do blending according to luma in a short range around the cut-off value (from -1 to +1 or from the cut-off value in the previous frame to the current cut-off value or according to a "softness" option?).

Anyway, there were too many luma transitions and not enough fade transitions to my taste. I also still not very fond of a few transitions such as "CheckerA04-01.png"

I guess if I delete some files from luma folder, ffDiaporama will continue work with no problems, right?

All motion transitions were quite jerky at 30p. I showed a video with Ken Burns effects to several people and they did not like it because it was jerky. That was quite disappointing. I would really appreciate more smooth motion in future releases. An option with double fps or interlaced frames should not be that hard to implement, I guess. Introducing an artificial motion blur may help to, but I hope it won't be needed.

Finally, "turning pages" transitions, which are very nice otherwise, create some unpleasant results when the pictures are different. Some kind of a check for that before placing these transitions would be nice.

#4 12-09-2013 20:13:18

algo74
Nouveau membre

I meant, "turning pages" transitions create some unpleasant results when THE SIZES OF the pictures are different

#5 01-11-2014 12:06:01

domledom
Administrateur

Hi

I've just published a new devel which improve LUMA quality.

Regarding the jerky problem in ken burns effect, it's not an issue of frame rate but a problem of bitrate. To solve it, I included in latest devel a variable bitrate option which smooth these effects and reduces size of videos. For the moment, this new option is available only for h264 codec. We'll see later if it is possible to extend it to other codecs.

Could you test this new devel ?

#6 01-23-2014 01:31:37

minikeefy
Nouveau membre

How can I use a Ken Burns transition effect, I cannot see it listed and appears the only thing missing for my applications.

#7 01-23-2014 17:03:51

Sestay
Modérateur
Website

HI!
See here how todo (is in french)
Sample
Thi is made with an older version but you can download the zip file in "téléchargement" part.
Dirrect link

When you want make a kenburn effect you have to use some shot when you edit your silde and reframe the picture.
in correct or reframe image That's all.

Good chance this old project work with the last ffDiaporama version.

Last edited by Sestay (01-23-2014 17:09:04)

#8 01-23-2014 21:20:51

minikeefy
Nouveau membre

I will give it a try (and get my translator to work :-)!)

I did try doing something similar and the process could be simplified if it was possible to zoom the picture out without having to move the corners of the picture into the editing area and then dragging out and repositioning afterwards. (Or am I missing a trick?)

#9 01-24-2014 19:57:12

Sestay
Modérateur
Website

More information.
simple way
1> add a picture to your project,
2> Edit this slide,
3>clic on add shot you have two shots whith the same picture. ok ?
4>select the second shot.
5> Edit this shot with correct or reframe image? 'double clic on the shot in the right part zone of the Window),.
6> Here you can resize the rectangle one the part of picture you want to show.
Close this window with ok button and the next windows with ok button,
that's all.

Info you can see fore more info the help file acces with F1 Key Fonctional principal.

#10 02-05-2014 04:57:24

algo74
Nouveau membre

I have tested new devel and indeed some LUMA looked better at 1080p. Some others (especially "special effect 14" and "special effect 17" from "Checkers" folder) still looked pixelated. However, if I delete LUMA files I do not like, the program works fine unless I open a project that uses a missing file. So, I can work around this issue.

I can try to redo some LUMA files at 1080p resolution, if that will be of help.

When rendered at 480p, LUMA transitions are still quite pixelated, because the transitions use "sharp" masks and the eye can easily distinguish individual pixels at 480p. I would prefer some degree of softness. Anyway, I render at 1080p and then convert to 480p in another software and I like what I get this way. So, not a big issue for me.

As for the jerkiness of movement, I did not notice any changes. I do not think that I ever experienced low bitrate artifacts. I always used highest bitrate possible. And the movement is not that bad for progressive 30 fps. It is just that without involving motion blur 30 fps is not enough to fool the modern eye that it is a smooth motion, I believe. But 50-60 fps or interlaced will do well.

Sorry for late response, I have no slideshows to do at the moment. I used 2.1 devel 20140114 by the way. I see it is not the latest version already. Good job!

#11 02-06-2014 07:37:54

domledom
Administrateur

Hello

If you can redo some LUMA files in high resolution, that would be great.

For this version, I will not change the code for LUMA because it is too late. By cons, for the next version, we will continue working on this issue and in particular on the application of masks.

Regarding the jerkiness of movement, did you try to render using variable h264 codec and if yes, did you notice some improvement ?

#12 02-08-2014 18:15:25

algo74
Nouveau membre

I did try variable h264 codec and I did not notice any considerable difference. Should it produce better quality than "lossless"?

I made a few luma files. I going to send them on Monday.

Board footer